The big Ice runs from mid September up to end of April.
We wish you join us in this wonderful experience.
The excursion begins in the embarking pier located in “Bajo de las Sombras” port, about 6 km before the glacier Balconies- where you embark for a 10 minutes navigation across the Rico Arm, enjoying breathtaking views of the Perito Moreno glacier’s front walls.
After checking the gear, we get ready, pick up the crampons and walk following the lateral moraine, for an hour and a half, until we reach the access to the glacier. After fitting harnesses and crampons on our footwear we start the ice trekking.
There is a breathtaking view of the immense plateau of ice.
During the walk you will be introduced to a number of features within the ice., huge moulins, crevasses, caves, and above all the special feeling of exploring the middle of the ice.
Expert bilingual mountain guides will always lead you, looking after your safety and teaching you the “ways of the ice”.
You will hike for about 3 hours and a half, and spend some time having lunch somewhere on the ice.
Back on the moraine we start our descent back to the port, to take the boat and navigate for 20 minutes, very close to the southern wall.
We are glad to be able to offer one of the most spectacular Ice-hikes in the world.
WHAT TO BRING
- Outfit: Warm clothes, raincoat jacket, waterproof trousers, hiking boots, sunglasses, sun screen, gloves, hat, backpack (40lts).
- Lunch: Passengers must bring their lunch boxes.
- Age: This walk is aimed at fit people between 18 and 50 years.
- Restrictions: Due to the degree of effort and difficulty that this excursion presents, is NOT allowed for; pregnant women, people with overweight, some type of disability, or health problems.
- All these services are provided daily. The complete tour with transportation from El Calafate takes around 12 hours. The total trekking time is 7 hours.
- The price does NOT include the entrance fee to National Park Los Glaciares or lunch.
- Land transportation from El Calafate to the National Park (80 km) is available if required. It includes half an hour visit to the glacier balconies.
¡Help us to preserve Nature!